Mr. Jason Bonci is the Department of the Air Force Chief Technology Officer at Office of the Chief Information Officer. His responsibilities are to drive the adoption, resilience, and strategic technical vision of the Enterprise IT portfolio.
Prior to his current position, he was the Senior Director of Public Sector Engineering at Akamai Technologies in Cambridge, Massachusetts. There he led a team of 60 engineering, operations, and consulting professionals in designing and operating Akamai’s public sector portfolio. This included being the technology provider behind the Department of Defense’s Global Content Delivery Service program that powered delivery, security, and optimizations for over 2,000 capabilities. Under his architectural guidance, this service became part of the technical underpinning of the DoD’s internet access delivery system, the Air Force enterprise cloud program (CloudOne) and the Army’s identity and credential access management system. Mr. Bonci also designed and fielded the Shepherd protective domain name service program in conjunction with Defense Digital Service which helped protect Defense Industrial Base companies and national critical infrastructure. Over this 14 year tenure, he had numerous roles in the public sector, including engineering management and as an individual contributor in systems engineering and web applications.
Prior to Akamai, Mr. Bonci was involved in the Open Source community as an engineer at VA Linux and as a contributor to the Debian Linux Distribution. Having worked as an independent security researcher, he is a contributor to the DoD Vulnerability Disclosure Program. He is also an Eagle Scout.
2018 Bachelor of Science, Data Analytics, Southern New Hampshire University, Manchester
- May 2003–June 2007, Systems Programmer Analyst II, SourceForge/VA Linux
- June 2007–June 2011, Senior Software Engineer, Custom Engineering, Akamai Technologies, Cambridge, Mass.
- June 2011–May 2013, Senior Lead Engineering, Custom Network Engineering, Akamai Technologies, Cambridge, Mass.
- May 2013–January 2016, Engineering Manager, Custom Government Engineering, Akamai Technologies, Cambridge, Mass.
- January 2016–July 2021, Senior Director, Custom Government Engineering, Akamai Technologies, Cambridge, Mass.
- August 2021–Current, Chief Technology Officer, Office of the Chief Information Officer, Department of the Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
(Current as of September 2021)